Of all of the pasta dishes, this cacio e pepe recipe is one in all my favorites to make and, in fact, eat. When the dish comes collectively “good” it’s a creamy, tacky masterpiece.
Whereas the substances listing is comparatively easy, it doesn’t imply it’s a easy dish to make! This dish takes apply and an understanding of how the sauce ought to come collectively. That being stated, it’s effectively well worth the effort. When you get the cling of it, it’s a dish you may whip up with ease.
As we speak I’m sharing my cacio e pepe recipe. That is the method that works effectively for me, however when you have different variations you swear by for this dish, I’d love to listen to them within the feedback! And if you need a particularly detailed recipe with lots of useful recommendation for getting a easy sauce, try this hyperlink.
Cacio e Pepe Recipe
- 16 oz bucatini (or comparable lengthy pasta)
- 1 ½ cups Pecorino Romano, finely hand-grated, plus extra for garnish (I’ve additionally used Parmesan as effectively when you don’t have Pecorino Romano available.)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper, plus extra for garnish
- Stainless-steel pan
- Pasta pot
- Picket spoon
- Slotted spoon
Cooking Course of
- Begin by filling up the pot with water and ensuring you salt the pasta water actually, rather well. Don’t skimp! Whenever you style the water, it ought to style like the ocean. (The salt you place within the water results in the sauce as effectively since you utilize a few of the pasta water within the dish.)
- Convey the water to a boil, add the pasta, and prepare dinner in line with the package deal instructions.
- A few minutes earlier than the pasta is completed cooking, soften the butter and olive oil within the pan over medium warmth. As soon as the butter melts, add a ton of freshly cracked black pepper on prime (I add round ~20 grinds of pepper). This course of is known as “blooming.” Stir the combination for about 1 minute.
- About 1 minute earlier than your pasta is completed, take 1/4 cup of the pasta water, put it on prime of the butter/olive oil/pepper combination, and stir till it turns right into a thicker sauce.
- Use tongs to take away the pasta immediately from the pot, add it to the pan with the sauce, add the cheese on prime, and rigorously combine. It ought to appear like each noodle is shiny and lined in specks of pepper. If it doesn’t, you may add extra cheese and/or pasta water till you get the consistency proper. The objective is to maintain the whole lot heat when you constantly stir. The tip end result ought to be a squishy-sounding pasta that’s glistening within the sauce.
- Put the pasta into bowls and prime with a bit of extra cheese and cracked pepper. Take pleasure in!