Wholesome, hearty, and complicated, this genuine Caponata Recipe combines the entire flavors of the Mediterranean into one addictive mix! Everybody will devour this candy, tangy, salty, dish made with roasted eggplant, black olives, raisins, and extra.
Sicilian-Fashion Caponata with Eggplant, Pine Nuts, and Golden Raisins
Eggplant is an underappreciated vegetable, and I’m on a mission to alter that – one recipe at a time. This straightforward Caponata is so good, it might change the thoughts of any eggplant hater! In case you like candy and tangy meals with loads of roasted, caramelized notes, this one’s for you. And it’s so versatile, you’ll end up consuming it with nearly all the pieces.
In case you’re not acquainted, caponata is a ratatouille-like recipe that hails from Sicily, the well-known island off of Italy’s southern coast. Historically, the eggplant in caponata is fried – however roasting it’s simpler and offers the eggplant the right deep golden-brown colour, silky texture, and meaty taste.
Tomatoes, olives, and candy raisins additionally play their essential half on this fascinating vegetarian favourite.
What Does Caponata Style Like?
In a phrase? Agrodolce. That’s Italian for bitter and candy, that are two of the massive, daring flavors in caponata. It’s additionally salty, due to the olives, and has a whole lot of meaty, umami goodness with the roasted eggplant and caramelized veggies. When you style it, you’re gonna be hooked!
The Elements You’ll Want
The elements for this recipe learn like a Who’s Who of taste – we’re speaking olives, purple wine vinegar, recent herbs, pine nuts… it’s all so savory and particular. Everybody will adore the complicated, complimentary style of this daring recipe.
- Eggplant: You should utilize globe eggplant, that are sometimes bought in most grocery shops, or you might use smaller Japanese or Italian eggplants. Reduce the eggplant into ½ inch cubes.
- Olive Oil: Additional-virgin olive oil has the boldest style.
- Tomato Juice: Canned, bottled, or boxed is okay.
- Pink Wine Vinegar: In case you don’t have this, you might substitute white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Parsley: I favor chopped, recent parsley, however dried would additionally work.
- Sugar: In case you like, substitute your favourite honey right here.
- Contemporary Tomato: Core the tomato, take away the seeds, and chop the flesh.
- Raisins: Golden raisins are my go-to, however purple raisins would even be good.
- Black Olives: You need minced olives for this recipe.
- Onion: A small yellow onion, finely chopped.
- Bell Pepper: Finely chop the bell pepper, too.
- Pine Nuts: These are non-obligatory, however they add a improbable taste and texture!
- Ciabatta: Sliced ciabatta bread is ideal for serving your home made caponata.
How one can Make It
This recipe is loaded with recent, flavorful elements, but it surely’s truly very easy to tug collectively. Even should you’re new to cooking, otherwise you’ve by no means made caponata earlier than, don’t stress – it’s going to be superb!
- Roast the Eggplant. First, set your oven to preheat to 400˚F. Whereas it’s preheating, go forward and sprinkle the eggplant cubes with salt, and set them apart for a couple of minutes. It will assist pull a number of the liquid and any bitterness from the eggplant. Pat them dry, after which place them on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, toss to coat, and roast within the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or till they’re browned and tender.
- Make the Caponata Base. Whereas the eggplant roasts, get out a giant mixing bowl and whisk the tomato juice along with your vinegar, parsley, sugar, chopped tomato, raisins, and olives. Make certain the sugar dissolves in there, and set this combination apart.
- Saute the Remaining Elements. Warmth up some olive oil in a skillet over medium-high warmth. Add the bell pepper and the onion, and let these prepare dinner for about 7 minutes to melt and caramelize a little bit bit. You’ll need to stir them often.
- End the Dish. Lastly, stir the cooked eggplant and tomato juice combination into the skillet, and let all the pieces simmer collectively for 5 minutes or so, till the sauce has thickened. Take the caponata off the warmth. When you can serve it immediately, it’s greatest to let it sit for an hour at room temperature earlier than you serve it, in order that the flavors can develop. Even higher, refrigerate it in a single day.
- Get pleasure from! Whichever route you go, sprinkle it with pine nuts and serve it with the ciabatta when it’s time to eat.
Straightforward Suggestions and Variations
Earlier than you begin chopping, roasting, and mixing, remember to take a look at these useful ideas for fabulous caponata. It’s a rewarding dish to get proper, and every useful trace will assist make it possible for occurs.
- Make It in Advance: As you’ll be able to think about, Caponata tastes even higher as soon as it’s had an opportunity to sit down for a day or so within the fridge. The flavors mix and develop much more. So you’ll be able to positively make this a day or two prematurely, and make the most of the comfort and the style. Win-win!
- Roast Nicely: Caponata ought to have a comfortable, well-cooked texture just like a very good relish, chutney, and even jam – so don’t be afraid to prepare dinner the greens till they’re very tender.
- Use Seasonal Produce: Though eggplant is de facto essential to caponata, the opposite elements are a bit extra versatile. Be happy to throw in some yellow crookneck squash or zucchini, some sauteed leeks, celery, further bell peppers… use what’s in season round you, and revel in!
- Raisin Substitutes: In case you don’t actually need to use raisins, you’ll be able to depart these out – or use one other candy, dried fruit like chopped pitted dates, prunes, and even figs. A few of these are sweeter than others, in fact, so hold that in thoughts.
Whereas Caponata is historically extra of a relish or antipasto than a facet dish or major course, it truthfully works superbly in every kind of settings! Listed here are just some:
How one can Retailer Leftover Caponata
- Leftover caponata might be saved in an hermetic container or jar within the fridge for a couple of week. Carry it again to room temperature earlier than serving.
Can I Freeze This?
- Caponata is freezer-friendly, however take into account that the feel and even the flavors of the veggies received’t be fairly the identical after freezing and thawing. (In case your greens are giant or simply frivolously cooked, the thawed caponata could also be watery and even mushy.)
- To freeze, place cooled caponata in freezer baggage or containers, leaving as little air within the bag/container as potential. Freeze for as much as three months.
- Thaw within the fridge earlier than utilizing.
Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
Season the eggplant cubes with salt and put aside whereas the oven preheats.
Pat dry the eggplant with paper towels and switch them to a sheet pan.
Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, or till browned and tender.
Within the meantime, in a mixing bowl whisk collectively the tomato juice, vinegar, parsley, and sugar.
To the tomato combination, stir within the chopped tomato, raisins, and olives.
Warmth additional virgin olive oil in a 12-inch skillet set over medium-high warmth.
Add bell pepper and onion and prepare dinner, stirring often, for about 7 minutes, or till softened and a bit browned.
Scale back warmth to medium-low.
Stir within the cooked eggplant and tomato juice combination; deliver to a simmer and prepare dinner for about 5 to eight minutes, or till sauce is thickened. You’ll be able to prepare dinner for longer, or to desired consistency.
Take away from warmth.
For greatest taste, let the caponata sit at room temperature for 1 hour earlier than serving.
Style and regulate; extra salt, extra vinegar, and many others…
Prime with pine nuts and serve with ciabatta.
- Caponata might be refrigerated for as much as per week; deliver to room temperature earlier than serving.
Energy: 60 kcal | Carbohydrates: 6 g | Protein: 1 g | Fats: 4 g | Saturated Fats: 0.5 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2 g | Sodium: 89 mg | Potassium: 150 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 4 g | Vitamin A: 403 IU | Vitamin C: 13 mg | Calcium: 9 mg | Iron: 0.4 mg | Web Carbs: 5 g
Dietary information is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values could differ in line with the elements and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.