This chocolate mousse cake is a moist, tender chocolate cake topped with hazelnut chocolate mousse and home made vanilla whipped cream. Seize your whisks and mixing bowls, and prepare to make some magic.
Straightforward Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe
This decadent dessert combines wealthy chocolate cake, silky easy chocolate mousse, and fluffy home made whipped cream. The cake itself is my basic chocolate cake. Splendidly fudgy and completely moist, it’s brushed with a hazelnut-flavored liqueur for an additional pop of taste.
The chocolate mousse that tops the cake is completely different out of your typical mousse. It’s higher. I used hazelnut chocolate (good subsequent to the hazelnut-flavored liqueur that coats the cake). Silky easy, wealthy, however not too wealthy, and ever so barely nutty, you’ll have a tough time resisting devouring this mousse earlier than it makes it to the cake. The entire thing is completed with swirls of home made whipped cream for good measure.
Put together your self for a deal with, pals. This could be the final chocolate dessert recipe you’ll ever want. It’s positive to win over the hearts and style buds of the chocolate lovers in your life.
Why You’ll Love This Mousse Dessert
If the identify “chocolate mousse cake” doesn’t already have you ever salivating in anticipation, listed below are some the reason why you simply need to make this obscenely scrumptious dessert.
- A singular mousse. Traditional chocolate mousse is the head of chocolate desserts, however this recipe takes it to the subsequent stage by incorporating hazelnut chocolate into the confection. The hazelnut offers it a buttery, nutty taste that’s considerably paying homage to Nutella.
- Texture. The cake itself is moist and splendidly tender, and the chocolate mousse is silky easy. It glides over like a dream.
- Properly balanced. This cake strikes an ideal stability between wealthy and not-too-sweet. The chocolate cake is fudgy and decadent, however using milk chocolate within the mousse and the addition of whipped cream to the highest of the cake does a fantastic job of breaking apart that richness simply the correct amount.
What Is Mousse?
Mild, fluffy, creamy, and easy all on the identical time, chocolate mousse is a French dessert that has made a reputation for itself all through the world. Usually, it’s constituted of heavy whipping cream, chocolate, eggs, butter, and sugar all expertly heated and whisked right into a wealthy, silky pudding-like consistency. It’s served chilled, usually with chocolate shavings and/or whipped cream.
The mousse on this cake mimics a basic chocolate mousse. It’s not the actual deal as a result of it doesn’t comprise eggs or butter (I wished to make it simpler on you all). That being stated, it nonetheless has the irresistible taste and texture of a basic rendition.
Now it’s time to move on over to the shop and seize the next elements to make this cake.
- Hazelnut-flavored milk chocolate or plain milk chocolate
- Heavy whipping cream
- Hazelnut-flavored liqueur
Learn how to Make Chocolate Mousse Cake
Right here’s a fast have a look at tips on how to make this fabulous mousse dessert. That is only a primary overview, so be sure you scroll to the recipe card under for extra detailed directions.
For the cake
- Soften the butter and whisk within the vanilla.
- Whisk collectively the dry elements.
- Prepare dinner the eggs and sugar. Whisk collectively the eggs and sugar. Warmth the combination in a double broiler over medium-low warmth for two minutes, whisking constantly. Take away from the warmth and beat for five minutes.
- Assemble the batter. Fold the dry elements into the egg combination in 3 components. Then fold 1 cup of the cake batter into the nice and cozy butter and fold that combination into the remaining cake batter.
To make the mousse
- Soften the chocolate and make the whipped cream. Soften the chocolate in a double broiler over sizzling water. Enable it to chill. Beat collectively heavy cream and salt till tender peaks type.
- Put all of it collectively. Combine the water into the melted chocolate after which fold within the whipped cream.
- Unfold the mousse over the cake. Brush the cake with hazelnut liqueur and unfold the mousse excessive.
For the whipped vanilla frosting
- Make the whipped cream. Beat the heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar till tender peaks type.
- Embellish the cake. Pipe vanilla frosting across the edges of the cake. Cowl and chill in a single day.
Useful Suggestions for Making A Chocolate Mousse Cake
- High quality Elements: Use high-quality chocolate. The flavour of your cake and mousse will closely depend upon the standard of the chocolate you utilize.
- Baking the Cake: Don’t overbake the cake. It’s simple to dry out a chocolate cake. Begin checking if it’s accomplished a couple of minutes earlier than the advisable baking time. It’s prepared when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with a number of moist crumbs.
- Cool Fully: Enable the cake to chill fully earlier than you try so as to add the mousse. If it’s nonetheless heat, it may possibly trigger the mousse to soften, and the layers received’t maintain up.
- Mousse Texture: When making the mousse, whip your cream to tender peaks. If it’s too stiff, it may possibly make the mousse texture grainy. Additionally, make certain the chocolate shouldn’t be too sizzling once you combine it with the whipped cream to keep away from deflating it.
- Mousse Settling: After making use of the mousse layer, let the cake sit within the fridge for a bit to permit the mousse to agency up. It will make the cake extra secure and simpler to frost.
- Frosting: For the frosting, make certain your heavy cream could be very chilly. It will make it simpler to whip and assist it maintain its form. If you would like, you may as well add a stabilizer comparable to gelatin or powdered sugar to assist preserve its construction.
- Serving: At all times serve the cake nearer to room temperature. Whilst you ought to retailer it within the fridge, take it out about half-hour earlier than serving for the perfect taste and texture.
- Chopping the Cake: Use a heat knife (dip it in sizzling water and wipe it dry) to chop the cake. This gives you clear slices that exhibit the gorgeous layers.
- Fridge. Retailer chocolate mousse cake in an hermetic cake provider or wrap it in a double layer of plastic wrap. You should use toothpicks to prop the plastic away from the whipped cream to maintain it fairly. Sliced it already? Prepare the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container. Retailer the cake within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- Freezer: Enable the cake to agency up within the freezer for a few hours earlier than wrapping it in a double layer of plastic wrap. For those who already sliced the cake, retailer the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container. Complete or sliced, retailer the cake within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw it within the fridge earlier than serving.
Extra Chocolate Desserts to Attempt
Whew! I don’t learn about you, however all of this speak of mousse cake has gotten me in a chocolate type of temper. Thank goodness I’ve a plethora of different chocolate-centric recipes so that you can attempt. Examine ’em out:
For the Whipped Vanilla Frosting
For the Cake
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Line the underside of a 9-inch springform cake pan with parchment paper. Put aside.
Soften the butter in a saucepan set over medium warmth.
Take away from warmth and switch the butter right into a small metallic bowl; whisk within the vanilla calmly and put aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk collectively the flour and cocoa powder; whisk till included.
In a separate massive bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar till blended.
Pour water in a big skillet and produce to a simmer.
Place the bowl with the egg combination within the skillet, continually whisking till egg combination is lukewarm, about 2 minutes.
Take away bowl from water.
Place the bowl with butter in the identical skillet over low warmth to maintain heat.
Utilizing an electrical mixer, beat the egg combination till cool and tripled in quantity, about 5 minutes.
Sift 1/3 of the flour-cocoa combination over the egg combination and gently fold it in with a rubber spatula.
Fold within the remaining flour-cocoa combination in 2 extra additions.
Fold 1 cup of cake batter into the nice and cozy butter; fold till included.
Utilizing a rubber spatula, gently fold the butter-cake batter combination into the remaining cake batter.
Switch the batter to the beforehand ready springform pan.
Bake for half-hour, or till a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clear, and the highest of the cake springs again barely when gently pressed.
Take away from the oven; switch the cake to a cooling rack and funky it fully contained in the pan.
Take away the cooled cake from the pan and invert the cake onto the rack; take away the parchment and set the cake apart.
For the Mousse
Pour sufficient water into a big skillet to achieve a depth of 1 inch; deliver to a simmer.
Place the chopped chocolate in a metallic bowl.
Take away simmering water from the warmth and place the bowl with chocolate contained in the skillet.
Stir till the chocolate is melted and easy.
Take away the bowl from the water and let the chocolate quiet down.
Utilizing an electrical mixer, beat the heavy cream and the salt in one other bowl till very tender peaks type.
Whisk 3 tablespoons of water into the melted chocolate.
Slowly pour the whipped cream combination and fold it into the melted chocolate simply till included. Put aside.
Brush the highest of the chilled cake with liqueur.
Beginning 1-1/2 to 2 inches from the sting of the cake, unfold the mousse over the cake. Put aside.
For the Whipped Vanilla Frosting
In your mixer’s bowl, mix chilled heavy whipping cream, vanilla and sugar; beat the combination on medium-high till tender peaks type.
Pipe vanilla frosting across the empty edges of cake, pipe as much as identical peak because the mousse.
Cowl and chill in a single day.
Minimize and serve.
- Elements: Use good high quality chocolate.
- Hazelnut-flavored milk chocolate: For those who don’t have any or can’t discover hazelnut-flavored chocolate, you may as well use common chocolate chips should you’d like.
- Heavy whipping cream: The heavy whipping cream needs to be chilly. In any other case, it received’t maintain quantity as properly, and you may find yourself with a flat chocolate mousse.
- Hazelnut-flavored liqueur: Frangelico could be my high decide.
- Baking: Don’t overbake the cake. Examine it early.
- Cooling: Let the cake cool earlier than including mousse.
- Mousse: Whip the cream to tender peaks, and don’t combine it with sizzling chocolate. Await the chocolate to chill.
- Resting: Let the cake set within the fridge.
- Serving: Serve the cake at room temperature.
- Chopping: Use a heat knife for clear slices.
- Storing within the fridge: Put the cake in an hermetic container or wrap it twice in plastic wrap. If reduce, retailer slices in a single-layer container. Hold the cake within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- Storing within the freezer: Enable the cake to agency up within the freezer for a few hours earlier than wrapping it in a double layer of plastic wrap. Retailer slices or the entire cake in a container. Hold within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Defrost within the fridge earlier than serving.
***Tailored from Bon Appetit ***
Serving: 1 slice | Energy: 295 kcal | Carbohydrates: 24 g | Protein: 4 g | Fats: 22 g | Saturated Fats: 14 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0.1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 86 mg | Sodium: 47 mg | Potassium: 131 mg | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 19 g | Vitamin A: 639 IU | Vitamin C: 0.2 mg | Calcium: 36 mg | Iron: 1 mg | Internet Carbs: 22 g
Dietary information is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values could range in keeping with the elements and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.