STEVENSVILLE, Md. – With the upcoming Labor Day weekend, the Maryland Transportation Authority is urging drivers to give attention to secure driving practices, and recommending that motorists touring off-peak to assist decrease delays on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
Motorists touring to and from the Jap Shore might also discover time financial savings by using the I-95 northern route touring the Tydings Bridge.
MDTA officers anticipate greater than 350,000 automobiles will cross the Bay Bridge between Friday, Sept. 2, and Labor Day Monday, Sept. 5. Motorists ought to anticipate delays on the bridge and alongside the US 50 hall throughout the vacation journey interval. Heavier eastbound volumes are anticipated Thursday by way of Saturday, Sept. 1-3, with heavier westbound volumes anticipated Sunday and Monday, Sept. 4-5. Motorists ought to keep on US 50 on each side of the bridge to maintain native roadways open for first responders and residents.
The perfect instances to journey the Bay Bridge this vacation interval embody:
- Thursday, Sept. 1 – earlier than 10 a.m. and after 9 p.m.
- Friday, Sept. 2 – earlier than 8 a.m. and after 9 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 3 – earlier than 8 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
- Sunday, Sept. 4 – earlier than 11 a.m. and after 9 p.m.
- Labor Day Monday, Sept. 5 – earlier than 9 a.m. and after 10 p.m.
- Tuesday, Sept. 6 – earlier than 7 a.m. and after 6 p.m.
Climate and site visitors volumes allowing, the MDTA will implement two-way operations to assist alleviate eastbound delays on the Bay Bridge. Two-way operations could also be restricted primarily based on westbound site visitors volumes, as bridge officers try to mitigate delays on each side of the bridge. Two-way operations are prohibited throughout bridge wind warnings/restrictions, fog/restricted visibility, or instances of precipitation and could also be prohibited throughout incidents. Be taught extra about two-way operations right here.
Motorists should concentrate and cling to overhead lane alerts.
- RED X: Lane is closed. You MUST NOT enter or journey in any lane over which a RED X sign is proven.
- YELLOW X: Put together to vacate the lane beneath the YELLOW X sign and transfer to a lane with a DOWNWARD GREEN ARROW.
- DOWNWARD GREEN ARROW: You’ll be able to drive within the lane beneath the GREEN ARROW sign.
It is very important word that almost all of crashes on the Bay Bridge are rear-end collisions. All the time keep centered on the highway forward, keep a secure following distance and comply with posted pace limits. Business automobiles should journey throughout the Bay Bridge in the suitable lane. A car breakdown can create vital backups inside minutes. Be sure your car is highway prepared earlier than venturing out. In case your car begins to interrupt down, exit the roadway. If that isn’t potential, stay inside your car and name #77 for help.
For 24/7 Bay Bridge site visitors info name 1-877-BAYSPAN (1-877-229-7726) or go to Baybridge.com.