Good morning. You are studying the Up First e-newsletter. Subscribe right here to get it delivered to your inbox, and listen to the Up First podcast for all of the information it is advisable to begin your day.
At present’s high information
Israel and Hamas have agreed to increase their truce for 2 extra days to allow for the release of more hostages taken from Israel in trade for Palestinian prisoners. Israel says it can launch 30 extra Palestinians for each 10 Israeli hostages launched.
- Israel has capped the cease-fire to a most of ten days, NPR’s Daniel Estrin says on Up First. A whole bunch of support vans have entered Gaza as a part of the truce deal, however there nonetheless isn’t enough aid to go around for fundamental wants. NPR producer Anas Baba describes lengthy traces for provides like oil. Estrin provides there’s rising anger in Israel over media reviews claiming that Israeli leaders uncared for intelligence warnings in regards to the Oct. 7 assaults by Hamas.
Try npr.org/mideastupdates for extra protection, differing views and evaluation of this battle.
A 48-year-old Vermont man accused of capturing three faculty college students of Palestinian descent has pleaded not guilty to tried second diploma homicide. Jason J. Eaton is being held in jail with out bail and the case. He faces 20 years to life for every of the homicide fees. Authorities are investigating the incident as a hate crime. (through Vermont Public)
- As of yesterday, all three males stay within the ICU, Vermont Public’s Brittany Patterson reviews. They’ve been friends for 12 years and went to high school collectively within the Israeli-occupied West Financial institution.
- Elizabeth Worth, the mom of Brown College scholar Hisham Awartani, spoke to NPR about her son’s accidents from her residence in Ramallah “My husband did not need Hisham to come back again for Christmas,” says Awartani’s mom Elizabeth Worth. “He thought our son would be safer [in the U.S.] than in Palestine.”
In fewer than two months, Republican voters will make their first selection of who would be the 2024 presidential nominee on the Iowa caucuses. The once-crowded area of nominees has shrunk — and the remaining candidates have not caught as much as front-runner Donald Trump.
- Many elements make this yr’s caucus not like others, Iowa Public Radio’s Clay Masters says. One candidate is not often this far forward at this level within the cycle. Masters provides that Kim Reynolds, the state’s governor, made the rare decision to endorse Ron DeSantis forward of the caucuses as a result of she says Trump cannot win the overall election.
The Texas Supreme Court docket is about to listen to arguments in its abortion ban case right now. The Heart for Reproductive Rights introduced on the lawsuit on behalf of 20 sufferers and two medical doctors. The plaintiffs argue the medical exceptions in state’s abortion regulation are too narrow to protect folks with difficult pregnancies.
After Black Friday, Small Enterprise Saturday and Cyber Monday offers finish, charities ask us to take a break from spending to donate cash for Giving Tuesday. Kevin Scally of Charity Navigator has these tips to consider earlier than making a donation:
- Make an inventory of causes you care about and points you need to assist resolve.
- Take into consideration what proportion of your family finances you may afford to donate.
- Give to a mixture of small, native organizations and enormous nationwide or worldwide ones.
- Watch out for scams and take a second take a look at something that feels excessive stress or unsolicited.
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Photographs
First woman Jill Biden unveiled the White Home’s Christmas decorations yesterday. Greater than 300 volunteers labored for greater than per week to place collectively 98 Christmas timber, virtually 34,000 ornaments, 72 wreaths and roughly 142,000 vacation lights. Biden says the theme, “Magic, Surprise, and Pleasure,” was impressed by how youngsters expertise the vacation. See photographs of several whimsical rooms here. You may e mail your Home consultant to schedule a tour.
3 issues to know earlier than you go
- Two contestants from the brand new Netflix recreation present, Squid Recreation: The Problem, are threatening legal action against the streaming service. They are saying they suffered accidents whereas filming.
- Bowie, a uncommon half-red, half-blue lobster, has gone viral. A bicolored lobster is a 1 in 50 million occurrence, in keeping with New England Aquarium biologist Jordan Baker.
- Merriam-Webster’s phrase of the yr for 2023 is “genuine.” It was one of many most looked up words within the dictionary’s 500,000 entries.
This article was edited by Majd Al-Waheidi.