Regardless of the place you’re from, you possibly can borrow from the culinary melting pot of the world with a purpose to infuse your plate with a daring essence. The Creole and Cajun flavors of New Orleans—steeped in a wealthy custom of cultures, together with African, Caribbean, and the New World—are amongst my favorites. You is perhaps stunned to find that many of those conventional dishes, similar to jambalaya, are based mostly on plant meals: beans and rice. Discover ways to make jambalaya with this straightforward recipe for Vegan Jambalaya with Purple Beans and Okra, which is bursting with taste. You can too make Immediate Pot Jambalaya with this recipe, too.
Jambalaya is a standard Cajun dish that has roots in Spain, West Africa, and France—specifically Provence. You may see shades of Spanish paella on this recipe, in addition to a standard Provencal rice dish known as jambalaia. Jambalaya often has sausage and shrimp, however I skipped these and centered on the purple bean traditional, which is a part of this meals tradition. You’ll see the holy trinity of onions, peppers, and celery featured on this recipe—a standard base of elements utilized in Cajun delicacies. Whereas I’ve spent fairly a little bit of time in New Orleans, and I like Cajun and Creole foodways, I’m not a real knowledgeable. Take a look at the superb work of Emily at Cajun Vegan Eats for extra inspiration.
What to Serve with Jambalaya?
I like to serve this one pot meal with a crusty entire wheat baguette and a crisp salad, similar to my Kale Cesar Salad. And the leftovers are great the following day too! Do that recipe for meal prep as wholesome seize and go meals through the week.
Discover ways to make jambalaya the wholesome method with this recipe for Vegan Jambalaya with Purple Beans and Okra, which is bursting with the flavors of Cajun delicacies. This wholesome and satisfying, budget-friendly recipe is a meal-in-one.
- 1 teaspoon further virgin olive oil
- 1 massive onion, diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium bell peppers (purple, orange, inexperienced, or yellow), diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 cups (200 g) chopped recent or frozen okra
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon candy paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- Sizzling sauce, as desired (optionally available)
- 1 cup (200 g) raw short-grain brown rice
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can purple beans (i.e., pinto beans, kidney beans, cranberry beans), with liquid (or 1 ¾ cups cooked, with 2∕3 cup water)
- 2 cups (474 ml) vegetable broth
- ½ cup (119 ml) water
- ¼ cup (15 g) chopped recent parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley)
- Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth.
- Add the onions and prepare dinner for five minutes.
- Add the garlic, bell peppers, carrots, celery, and okra and saute for an extra 5 minutes, stirring incessantly.
- Add cayenne, paprika, cumin, chili powder, celery salt, scorching sauce (if desired), and rice, sauté for an extra 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, purple beans, broth, and water. Stir effectively. Convey to a boil, cut back the warmth to medium-low, cowl, and prepare dinner for about 1 hour, till the rice is tender, stirring incessantly. Add further water as wanted to compensate for moisture misplaced to evaporation, however keep away from thinning the consistency an excessive amount of (it must be a thick stew-like consistency).
- Take away from the warmth and sprinkle with the parsley instantly earlier than serving.
- Makes 6 servings (about 1 1/2 cups every).
Variation: Substitute another form of bean for the purple beans (similar to black beans, chickpeas, or heirloom varieties).
Immediate Pot Instructions: Observe steps 1-5 utilizing the Sauté setting, in line with producer’s instructions. Then press the Rice setting. Use the Fast Launch when cooking is finished.
Recipe tailored from Plant-Powered for Life: Eat Your Method to Lasting Well being with 52 Easy Steps and 125 Scrumptious Recipes, ©Sharon Palmer 2014. Reprinted with permission from the writer, The Experiment.
- Prep Time: quarter-hour
- Cook dinner Time: 1 hour 12 minutes
- Class: Entree
- Delicacies: Cajun
- Serving Dimension: 1 ½ cups
- Energy: 280
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 424 mg
- Fats: 3 g
- Saturated Fats: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 56 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 0 mg
Key phrases: jambalaya, vegan jambalaya
For extra vegan meals, take a look at a few of my favorites:
This submit might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. For extra info, click on right here.