These vegan lettuce wraps with tempeh will be whipped up in a matter of minutes for a easy and scrumptious weeknight dinner meal. Crumbled tempeh will get stir fried in a flavorful sauce earlier than wrapping in tender lettuce leaves. A favourite summer season recipe of mine!
This publish was initially printed on 6/7/2019, however has been up to date with extra directions and some tweaks to make this recipe even higher. I hope you adore it!
Say howdy to one among your new favourite weeknight recipes for summer season! These vegan tempeh lettuce wraps take much less that half-hour to whip up and are simply jam full of taste. Crumbled tempeh will get stir fried in a flavorful sauce earlier than wrapping in tender lettuce leaves.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Fast: May be whipped up in lower than 20 minutes in only one skillet on the range.
- Heat Climate Pleasant: An excellent choice for heat climate since there isn’t a have to warmth up the oven and the time spent cooking on the stovetop is minimal.
- Versatile: May be served as an appetizer OR as a lightweight most important entree.
- Gluten Free: With a pair swaps like gluten free tempeh and tamari as a substitute of soy sauce this recipe can simply be made with none gluten. Tempeh is often gluten free however it’s important to learn the ingredient checklist fastidiously as some manufacturers add grains to their tempeh that will include gluten.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Tempeh: tempeh is one among my favourite plant-based proteins since it’s so adaptable for recipes that sometimes characteristic a floor meat. Discover tempeh within the fridge part of the grocery by the tofu. You can even sub crumbled tofu or a plant-based meat different like floor Past Meat for the tempeh.
- Soy Sauce and Sesame Oil: Provides a lot of umami taste. Use tamari as a substitute of soy sauce if you need this dish to be gluten free.
- Peanut Butter: Provides somewhat richness to the flavorful sauce on the tempeh.
- Ginger: Pairs properly with the opposite flavors on this wrap. Recent ginger will add extra taste, however you should use about 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger as a substitute.
- Garlic: Recent garlic may have essentially the most taste, however you should use about 1 teaspoon garlic powder when you’d like.
Learn how to Make this Recipe
STEP 1: Begin by stirring up the marinade you’ll use for the tempeh which incorporates: soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, ginger, brown sugar, and broth.
STEP 2: Toss your tempeh within the pan with the oil to brown. Flip off the warmth and and stir within the marinade.
STEP 3: Assemble your lettuce wraps and garnish with sesame seeds, chopped mint, chopped contemporary cilantro, and so on. Squeeze a little bit of lime on simply earlier than serving.
- Serve it up in lettuce leaves for a brilliant easy plant-based entree or appetizer. We used butter lettuce and purple romaine leaves for our lettuce cups however you might use iceberg lettuce as properly. (I noticed the purple romaine on the farmers market final week and needed to get it for this recipe!) You can even serve the filling in a tortilla or flour wrap if you need.
- Jazz up your vegan tempeh lettuce cups up by garnishing them with some contemporary cilantro, sliced jalapeño, inexperienced onion, further sriracha, sesame seeds, mint, and/or a squeeze of lime. Go loopy and do all of them or choose a pair that sound most interesting to you. Chopped Thai basil can be an ideal garnish choice if you’ll find it.
- Need much more sauce? Drizzle on a few of this peanut sauce!
- Add extra veggies to bulk up the filling. Chopped water chestnuts are a preferred addition (I simply don’t like them!). You can even add a little bit of shredded carrot, chopped peppers, or a little bit of bok choy.
Often Requested Questions
Tempeh is produced from fermented soybeans which were pressed into cake. Though that will sound unappetizing, tempeh is a good plant-based protein choice for fast and straightforward meals like this one! For this recipe, you’ll crumble up the tempeh to make use of it rather than the bottom rooster or pork that’s usually utilized in lettuce cups.
Yep! Use agency tofu that has been pressed for a couple of minutes to take away the additional moisture. Crumble together with your arms and stir fry it similar to you’ll the tempeh within the recipe under.
Select a lettuce with giant leaves, often wee and up shopping for a head of lettuce for this recipe vs bagged lettuce. Use a young leaf lettuce like Bibb lettuce or butter lettuce for wraps which are simple to carry. When you desire some crunch, use romaine lettuce leaves OR iceberg. You can even use cabbage leaves.
What to Serve with these Lettuce Wraps
Listed below are a number of strategies that may be tasty facet dishes with these lettuce wraps:
Make Forward and Storage
The filling for these lettuce cups will be made 2-3 days prematurely and saved within the fridge in an hermetic container. To reheat, add to a non-stick skillet over medium-high warmth with a splash of water and sauté till warmed via.
Filling will be frozen and reheated within the microwave or in skillet on the stovetop.
In search of different tasty tempeh recipes? Take a look at these!
Vegan Lettuce Wraps
These vegan lettuce wraps with tempeh will be whipped up in a matter of minutes for a easy and scrumptious weeknight dinner meal. I see myself consuming these on repeat all summer season lengthy!
Forestall your display from going darkish
1 non-stick skillet
- 2 tablespoons decreased sodium soy sauce (tamari if gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 inch piece contemporary ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 oz tempeh crumbled
- Lettuce leaves, jalapeño, lime, sesame seeds, mint, inexperienced onion
Make the Sauce
Add the soy sauce, water, peanut butter, sriracha, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic to a small bowl and whisk to mix. Put aside.
Make the Tempeh
Add the oil to a non-stick skillet over medium-high warmth. Add the tempeh to the pan with the leftover oil and sauté till golden brown, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce over the tempeh. Flip off the warmth and stir to coat.
To assemble, add tempeh to lettuce leaves and add desired toppings like inexperienced onion, cilantro, mint, sesame seeds, and a squeeze of lime.
- Serves 2 individuals as a most important dish or 3-4 as an appetizer.
- Stir collectively the sauce elements and retailer in an hermetic jar as much as 3 days prematurely. You can even make the filling a pair days prematurely and reheat in a skillet with a splash of water.
Serving: 1lettuce wrap | Energy: 143kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 8g | Fats: 11g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6g | Trans Fats: 0.03g | Sodium: 273mg | Potassium: 186mg | Fiber: 0.1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 34IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg